Sunday, September 14, 2008

Overhead Lights

Richard, my husband, doesn't understand my dislike for overhead lights. "But you can see so much better with an overhead light," he'll say after I plead with him for the 10th time to turn it off.

I've never liked overhead lights. I think the reason is two-fold... 1) Flashing florescent lights trigger migraines for me - and those lights are usually overhead lights; and 2) I prefer natural lighting - you know, shades drawn, blinds open - no need for overhead lights if you have the sun shining in. Even in my office at work, I had the contractor put in small spotlights instead of overhead florescents - I have 3 lamps in my office (but unfortunately, no windows) to provide the light I need.

So, despite my husband's need to constantly try to improve my life by flipping on the switch to the overhead, he surprised me last night... he installed a new ceiling fan in our bedroom. And guess what? It has NO LIGHTS! I'm still in shock!

Although, I do suppose Richard is right about one thing. Perhaps my contacts prescription wouldn't be -5.50 for my right eye and -7.00 for my left if I took advantage of the overheads!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so with you on the overhead lighting. HATE IT. A LOT. My sons and dh think I'm a loon, but I'm past caring.

Just so you know you're not alone.

Amy@thefoilhat.com

Anonymous said...

Fluorescent/flashing lights trigger the migraines for me, too. And I love having the blinds open. My husband knows that if he's been watching the kids for a day or weekend for me and I come home, I will be the happiest person in the world if the blinds are open!!!!