Friday, April 3, 2009

Our Week Ending April 2, 2009

What a GREAT week we had! Richard even taught for a day!

Will has officially started learning to read - using 100 Easy Lessons - and he's so happy. I think he finally feels like he's REALLY doing school, too! I got the book spiral bound a couple of weeks ago and I'm so happy I did. Pages were falling out! It's a great book, but the binding on mine was terrible! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE spiral binding. It's not pretty on the shelf, but, for books I actually use (and use often), I like that I can fold back my book or lay it flat. It's the little things that make me happy...

Casey has been reading like a fiend lately. I got a shipment of used books in the mail this week, including about a dozen or so American Girl books. Casey flipped out! She's already read 3 of them! I would list the books Casey has been reading, but I fear the backlash (*wink**wink* you know who you are); suffice to say, Casey has read over 30 books in the last month. [Well, I guess I can say the authors and you can solve the title mystery yourselves: Barbara Park, Judy Blume, Carolyn Keene. Yes, fluff reading for the most part, but Casey's been working so hard...]

I won't go into a lot of detail with what we've been covering lately, with the exception of History. We read about Ancient India, Hinduism, Buddhism, Shiva, and Siddhartha. We followed up on the Buddhism part of Story of the World by visiting our local Buddhist Temple. It's still under construction, but it is a beautiful building so far. I did encounter a monk as I was taking pictures of the temple (from at least 200 yards away, I might add). I don't believe he spoke English given my ramblings and his blank stare. Although, he did point toward the temple and utter, "No...in." We left with a smile and a wave and a picture of the temple.

2 comments:

Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice said...

are you studies on Ancient India, Hinduism, Buddhism, Shiva, and Siddhartha etc part of your curriculum or is that what you've added to it?

Anonymous said...

I love flat lying books too!

No in! :)